Monday, October 19, 2009

Ok, ok, I'll post something.

So several people have inquired as to how my recent training has been going. After reading Jilane's guest post from Carrie I am motivated to share my new training secret. I have not run for the past week. Actually, it has more to do with a bad cold and a good friends wedding, and less to do with my new motivational influences.

I have a couple of additional tid bits of information to share with you. Since this blog update has been a long time coming, I don't care if I jump around and it doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't make a lot of sense.

1stly (is that a word? Is anything with numbers and letters a word?) a couple of weeks ago I called my old high school coach to ask him some advice about marathon running. He was a rather old schools coach/runner who had done some marathons. He asked if I wanted to finish one, or race one. I said race one. He asked how much I was running. I said about 60-70 miles a week (which was true at the time). He laughed and responded "Well, you're going to want to almost double that." Great. I responded by taking a week off.

Also in the last few weeks Ben Stern and I have developed a race plan. It has been a long time coming, so I am glad we finally hammered one out. Our goal, as of the moment, is to start training and enter a low key marathon sometime this winter where we can run it as a long run and run as slow and close to (without going over!) the Boston qualifier as possible. Then we are going to continue to train and race Boston, so we can say we've done it. Sounds like a plan. I, of course, immediately responded by hammering Ben on a 7 mile run, going to Pat and Ben Clark's birthday party, getting sick, and not running for a week.

This is the part where I say I'm going to run 70 miles this week and do a tough workout and get my shit together. But that would mean my next post is where I say I didn't do any of that. As such, I think I'm going to be more realistic and just take this week to get back to running everyday and try to end it on a high note with a nice run at VCP and feel good about myself. Maybe do some abbs, some push ups. Just have a good time.

Speaking of having a good time, I hope everyone is coming to NYC for Heps/Halloween/NYC Marathon. Should be a good time. I need a costume, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

More posts to follow (sooner rather then later, I think).

1 comment:

  1. 1) Carrie is a nut, and I love her. I wish you would have been there when that e-mail arrived.
    2) Your abs DVD is in the mail.
    3) How about you and Ben pace me for your Boston Qualifier when I decide on a marathon? (I guess that involves me actually signing up for one instead of missing deadlines.)

    ReplyDelete