Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It's been a while

I know I haven't posted yet this year, or even that much last year, but I'll try to remedy that to some degree. I'm sitting in a hotel in Charlottesville Virginia right now getting ready to do a visit this afternoon, but with the morning off, I decided to get in a 10 miler. Ambitious, I know. I ran two miles out with Kevin, and by out I mean up, as in up into the hills. At two miles we discovered a loop that was almost exactly a mile around. Sweet. I ran one and a half loops with Kevin before I urged him to go on with out me. Lets put it this way, he raced a half marathon Sunday and I haven't raced anything in 2 years. Add a bunch of hills, and the fact that, as Ari knows, all of my runs these days go out of the way to avoid hills. Moral of the story, Kev was whamping me. Anyways, once he bounced, I ran another 2 and a half loops to put me at 6 miles, I then ran back down to the hotel, and added on two mile on the "flats" to make it 10 in just under 72 minutes.

Speaking of half marathons, Kevin has talked me into racing the Gainesville half on Valentines day, while we are working in Florida. I'll summarize my training in the last few weeks for you. Last week, 42 miles. 2 weeks ago, 3 miles. Ouch.

Time to go into Frank the Tank training mode, I have 3 weeks to get my ass in shape. Thankfully, I have a few things working in my advantage, for once. First off, I ran 40 miles last week, and I have 3 weeks to go, so thats like a month of training. 2nd I randomly decided to get in shape this week anyways and my last 4 runs have been 8 miles, 10 miles, 12 miles and 10 miles, so I'm on pace for a really good week of training, and anyone can string together two more weeks before a race, right? And most importantly, no one really enters the race. Results for the last two years have people running 6 minute pace competing for prize money. The winner is usually around 70-72, but 2nd and 3rd are always around 78-79. And I would have to run slower then my 87 minute "PR" I ran pacing Mad after taking a year off to not be in the top 25 or so, so either way, I will have a respectable finish.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! :) Yeah, 3 weeks is like a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! and, i love how i had to bust my ass to keep up with your off-for-a-year jog :)

    ReplyDelete